Adding an instance to an existing install

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM
I plan to use FindBuild to add an named instance to an existing 2008 default install. This install was performed before I started working here and the person who did it is no longer here. I did manage to find the install logs so I can see what settings were used but much of the setup does not follow best practice as FineBuild provides. Will adding the named instance with the recommended best practices make changes to the default install? Thank you for providing this product, the more I look at it the more I like it.
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Installing a new Named Instance with FineBuild will not change any existing instances.  You may want to change the config file value for SQLFiles or add a /SQLFiles: run time parameter to use your existing standard high-level folder name for the SQL Server database files.  There is a small risk that if you upgrade the shared components to a higher fix level you may force a reboot to take place, but this would happen regardless of if you used FineBuild.

You can use the Reference Manual to show you the commands to use to manually apply a best-practice configuration to existing instances.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:30 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Another question, has the client install been tested on Windows XP? I get an error at a spot (1AA Setup System drive) that works fine on a Windows 2008 machine.
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2010 at 10:41 AM

The version you have does have some problems with XP.  I have an updated version of the SQL2008 install that works with XP that I can send you if you send me your email address.

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I've found that ConfigSAPassword is available but is not included in the documentation.

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM
Edited Jun 24, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Thanks for this zsak, it got left out by mistake.  I posted a new version of FineBuild for SQL 2008 last night (Wed 23 June), but this version does not need that parameter.  However, it does include some fixes to run OK on XP.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM

A couple other things I found.

1. In Sql2008Install5Configuration, line 242, 'strManagementServer' is misspelled as 'strManagementSever'

2. In SQL2008Install4Xtras, when the processor architecture is defined as AMD64, strPathSSMS is defined for the C drive.  But the directories expected in strPathSSMS are on the same drive as the strDirProg drive.

All of these issues I was able to figure out and correct myself given the open nature of the code.  I am very happy with the process.  I have successfully installed a Named Instance on a virtual clone of our Production server and I was also able to get the SQL2008Install4Xtras to run for loading the additional SQL components.

Thanks for the new version with the XP fixes.

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Thanks, I have added these fixes to the next version of FineBuild.