Install problem

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm having a problem doing a simple workstation install of MS SQL 2008 Standard edition.  I went through the quick start guide but I'm still getting the following error.  Do you have any ideas?  Any help /hints you could provide would be mightily appreciated.

BTW, I'm running this on a VM with Windows 2008 Standard edition 64bit server.  

Thanks in advance,

<< Error >>

***************************************************Restart point 2AZ: Server reboot (SQL Server 2008 pre-requisites completed) at 11:47:39 PM*************************************************** /IAcceptLicenseTerms is present.  This means that you accept the license terms of FineBuild and of all products that FineBuild installs **************************************************** Starting Sql2008Install2Base.vbs***************************************************Restart point 2: Starting SQL Install processing (See 4) at 11:50:50 PMRestart point 2BA: SQL Server 2008 install for build WORKSTATION (See 4.3.2) at 11:50:53 PM***** Error has occurred ***** Process    : 2BA: SQL Server 2008 install for build WORKSTATION (See 4.3.2) Error code : -2068578304 Last Action: Run command in a file SQL Server Base Install failed

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:28 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM

The SQL Server install has failed.  You will need to look in the SQL Server install logs to find out more.  The default location for these are C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server \100\Setup Bootstrap\Logs.  You may see a Summary file that can give you a good description of why the install failed, but often is not that helpful.  You may need to find the detail.txt file in one of the subfolders of the \Logs folder and look through that to find the real cause.

Troubleshooting the SQL install logs is very well documented in SQL Server forums. If the cause of your problem is not obvious from the detail.txt file, it is worthwhile to do some searches to find more information about how to analyse  the SQLinstall logs.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Thank you very much for your suggestion.  I was able to track down the issue once I found the log.

Thanks once again..

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:52 PM
I just had this error code : -2068578304. I didn't specify a global value in my SQL2012Config.xml file that comes with the install. The value that I forgot to specify was DirSQL and DirDBA. Once I had a value for those, there wasn't a problem.

Kevin Herr.