This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Installation using Mount Points

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Reading through the documentation I see you can configure different drive letters for using the /drv parameter. We use a single mount point with individual LUN\Folders attached to the single drive letter. Is there anyway to configure the /drv:E\DATA so that it will use the DATA folder to do the installs inside of? 

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I have not done any testing with mount points.  My understanding is that Microsoft recommend that you set up mount points to hold all the contents of a folder.  This would mean that if you have folders E:\SQLFiles\Data and E:\SQLFiles\Log you could have a mount point to take everything that is put into E:\SQLFiles\Data and another mount point to take everything that is put in E:\SQLFiles\Log.

You can get FineBuild to create your folder structure and then stop so that you can set up your mount point.  You can then restart FineBuild to carry on with the install.

To get FineBuild to stop after creating the folders, add a parameter /stopat:1z.  When you restart FineBuild, remove the /stopat parameter and add a parameter /restart:auto.

If you can think of a way to supply mount point information as some new FineBuild parameters please let me know, and I will add it to a future version of FineBuild.

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM
EdVassie wrote:
I have not done any testing with mount points.  My understanding is that Microsoft recommend that you set up mount points to hold all the contents of a folder.  This would mean that if you have folders E:\SQLFiles\Data and E:\SQLFiles\Log you could have a mount point to take everything that is put into E:\SQLFiles\Data and another mount point to take everything that is put in E:\SQLFiles\Log. You can get FineBuild to create your folder structure and then stop so that you can set up your mount point.  You can then restart FineBuild to carry on with the install. To get FineBuild to stop after creating the folders, add a parameter /stopat:1z.  When you restart FineBuild, remove the /stopat parameter and add a parameter /restart:auto. If you can think of a way to supply mount point information as some new FineBuild parameters please let me know, and I will add it to a future version of FineBuild.
At first, I want to acknowledge the work done around this high value added

Starting SQL Server 2012, system databases (Master, Model, MSDB, and TempDB), and Database Engine user databases can be installed with Server Message Block (SMB) file server as a storage option. This applies to both SQL Server stand-alone and SQL Server failover cluster installations (FCI).

Do you plan to integrate this installation option in Finbuild ?

Regard