This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Redirect installation folders of SQL Server.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM
It is possible to redirect the installation folders of SQL Server within a single driver, ie :
  • C:\SQL\MSSQL\Data
  • C:\SQL\MSSQL\Backup
  • C:\SQL\Olap\Data
  • C:\SQL\Olap\Backup
Coordinator
Jun 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
By default SQL FineBuild will install all files in the System drive. You can put files on other drives by using the /Drv... parameters (/DrvProg:, /DrvData:, /DrvLog:, etc) but if these are not present then everything will be installed on the System drive.

Information about the /Drv... parameters will eventually get on to the Wiki, but for now please see 'Drv... Parameters' in the FineBuild Reference Manual for more details.
Jun 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Yes I've tried that you explain, I've actually done the installation of SQL Server across multiple disks, but my question is related to whether it is possible by redirecting the installation folders of SQL Server on the same disc, ie:

F:\SQLServer\MSSQL\Data
F:\SQLServer\MSSQL\Backup
F:\SQLServer\Olap\Data
F:\SQLServer\Olap\Backup
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Yes, this is possible. All of the /Drv.. parameters will default to the value of /DrvProg:, and /DrvProg: will default to the system drive if it is not supplied.

Therefore, to get all the movable SQL Server files on to a specific drive, just use /DrvProg:F or whatever drive you want.

However, please be aware that the Microsoft SQL Server install will always put some files on to the system drive, and this can not be altered. All of the .Net components have to go into the GAC which must exist on the system drive, and this needs about 3GB of space. The setup bootstrap files are also always put on the system drive, but this is only about 20 MB. Also, during the SQL Server install process, up to 2GB temporary space is used on the system drive and this cannot be directed to another drive.
Coordinator
Jun 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Also, there is no problem in using the same drive letter with the other /Drv... parameters. You can have /DrvData:F /DrvLog:F /DrvBackup:G, etc.