RSscripter

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM
I have been a huge fan of RSSscripter in the past and noticed that you have rolled that into this "project".

Do you have any plans to upgrade it to include report parts and shared datasets?
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Hi,

This is Chris Mathews, one of the new "owners" of SQL Server FineBuild. I'm sorry to say that we aren't actually maintaining the source of RSScripter so we can't update or add new features.

From what I've been able to find online, it looks like the developer abandoned the project.

Chris
Marked as answer by ChrisTheDBA on 3/5/2014 at 11:51 AM
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2014 at 12:30 AM
It's open source, or at least it use to be on here in codeplex. Why not fork it and make it current? It's the best SSRS deployment tool out there.

If you find value in the code, and you might if you included it in Finebuild, I certainly do. And the code is available, and abandoned, I only see upside. Every environment I've been in needs an RSScripter, and for this to be updated to include the newer portions of SSRS like report parts and shared datasets, its a win win for both RSScripter and the popularity of your Finebuild project.
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 1:46 AM
Hi,

Not saying we can do it, but I can't find a link to the source code. Can you post the link?

Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM
My understanding is that Jasper only ever published this on SQLDBATips and never released the source code. It seems that Jasper changed jobs and then ultimately closed SQLDBATips. Unless the source becomes available there may be little that can be done.
Mar 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM
I'm really, really bummed. The reason I asked is because we need a deployment tool that is more full featured than Visual Studio for SSRS. I work with the federal government and so we have to approve all software, and all software, even codeplex opensource has to be current and being patched for volnerabilities when discovered. Most on Codeplex meet that criteria and even if you check the National Vulnerability Database you'll find codeplex code getting patched when that happens. Anyway, I was going to submit your larger project for RSScripter and the major side benefit was as a DBA, I could use your Finebuild. Take care! Keith