FineBuild Remote Folders

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Hello,

The documentation says to copy the Finebuild folders locally to the Tools disk on the server. Can you provide more detail as to the reason? I wanted to know if it is possible to run the FineBuild scripts remotely? Or if nothing else, have a single remote copy of the SQLMedia folders? We have a heavily virtualized environment and I'd like to keep the amount of duplicate software copies to a minimum.

There may be a very good reason for it, if you could just elaborate?

Thanks!
Chris
Coordinator
Aug 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM
FineBuild can be run from a remote location, but experience has shown that most people have difficulty understanding how to make it work.

You need to set up a remote share that is known to the 'administrator' security context of the account you are using for the install. The mapping you set up must get applied automatically after a reboot, so that FineBuild continues to work if it needs to reboot the server during the install process.

If all you do is map a drive while you are in the 'user' security context, then when you 'Run as Administrator' the administrator context does not know about the drive mapping and you get messages about not being able to find the media. Even after 6 years since the introduction of Windows 2008 and multiple security contexts for administration accounts I find most people do not understand how the different security contexts work.

Your question has made me decide I should revise the documentation to cover running from a remote location. I have added it to the 'to-do' list but it may be a few weeks before it gets published.
Aug 1, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Thanks for the update! I appreciate your hard work!
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2015 at 11:07 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM
SQL FineBuild v3.3.0 fully supports being run from a network share.

To use this, navigate to the share location using the URL of the server hosting the share. Right-click as normal on CmdHere.bat, select Run as Administrator, and run FineBuild as normal. Do not navigate to the share using a mapped drive letter, because the functionality within Windows that processes the Run as Administrator cannot resolve the share location.

In addition, the use of the /AdminPassword parameter (required for Windows 2003 cluster installations) has now been extended to be optional for all installations, and will perform an automatic logon after any reboot triggered by FineBuild. These changes add a lot of convenience to using FineBuild.