Install Directory

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Hi

I am really impressed with Finebuild and instuctions.  However I have been unable to work out how to change the install directory to that it does not default to "Program Files".  Can you tell me whether this is possible

Thanks for the Great Tool !!

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Hi,

SQL Server will always be installed in the ?:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\ folder. 

The Microsoft SQL Server install will always put some components into that folder structure on the system drive, nobody can change that.  The Microsoft install will also put a shedload of stuff into the GAC, which is always on the system drive.

The folders that contain the programs for each instance can be put on any drive.  FineBuild uses the /DrvProg: parameter to control which drive is used, but I have not included anything to allow this folder name to be changed.  I'll add this to the list of things for a future release.

FineBuild does allow you to specify the high level folder where the database files will be put.  The default is SQLFiles, but you can update the DirSQL value in the Configuration file (or supply a /DirSQL: parameter at run time) to change this.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Hi Ed

I dont think my original post explained what I am trying to achieve.  I was trying to find out whether is it possible to install the SQL Server Services and SQL Data Files on different drives.   I am trying to ensure that the Database Services and SQL Server Database Data Files are on seperate disks.  For Example:

SQL Server DataFiles placed on E:\MSSQL.1

Database Service placed in D:\Program Files\

I have tried updating the SQL .....\FineBuild\SQL2005Config.xml file but both the Data Files and Database Services keep defaulting to the same drive.

Thanks

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Hi Ed

I am using version 2.1.0 and am trying to install a standalone instance before moving onto a cluster.   For a Clustered Instance the SQL Server binaries need to installed on a non-Clustered disk, which is why I am trying to install the SQL Server Service on another disk to where the data files are to be stored

thanks again

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Hi,

You can use the /Drvprog keyword to put the binaries on one disk, and use the /drvdata keyword to put the user databases on to another disk.

FineBuild always puts the system databases on the same disk as the binaries.  If this causes you a problem please let me know why, and I will look at fixing it in the next release.

Ed

Coordinator
Jan 7, 2010 at 12:43 PM

The next release of Finebuild will allow you to put the system databases on a separate disk to the program folders.  This is part of the support for clustering that will be delivered in the next release, hopefully some time in January.