Install .Net 4.0
FineBuild can install and configure .Net 4.0 as part of the SQL Server install process.
SQL Server 2012 requires that .Net 4.0 is installed prior to starting the main SQL Server install. It is recommended that .Net 4.0 is installed for all SQL Server installs, to minimise risks if .Net 4.0 is installed at a later date.
For some editions of SQL Server or versions of Windows the install media for .Net 4.0 must be downloaded, for others the install media is included. The table below shows when you must do a download.
If you need to do a download, then choose the correct process for your operating system.:
Windows 2012 or Windows 8
Windows 2008 R2 or below
Download for Windows 2012 or Windows 8
This covers Windows 8 and Windows 2012
If you are installing on Windows 2012 or Windows 8, then .Net 4.0 is built in to this version of Windows. No download or install is needed.
Download for Windows 2008 R2 or below
This covers Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2
1) Obtain a copy of any SQL Server 2012 server edition media. This can be the free Evaluation Edition media.
2) For both 32-bit and 64-bit installations, copy the following folders
FineBuild .Net 4.0 Install
Automated installation of .Net 4.0 is performed by Process Id 2AN
and is controlled by the parameters below:
||SQL 2008 R2
.Net 4.0 will be installed automatically if you are installing SQL 2012. If you want to install .Net 4.0 with other versions of SQL Server the following parameter should be added at run time:
Manual .Net 4.0 Install
The following steps show what you would have to do to install .Net 4.0 manually. FineBuild does all of this work for you automatically.
1) Navigate to the Additional Components\Redist\DotNetFrameworks
folder and double-click on the following file:
|Windows Server Core install
|Windows Desktop install
2) If you get a User Account Control message, click Yes
3) Accept the End User License Agreement, and then click Install
5) The Installation Progress window is displayed. Please wait until the .Net 4.0 install is complete.
6) The Installation is Complete window is displayed when the .Net upgrade is complete. Click
Copyright © 2011 - 2013 Edward Vassie.
License and Acknowledgements