SQL 2005 Express Edition Media Preparation
Before FineBuild can be used, the install media must be prepared. This section explains what needs to be done.
The install media preparation includes downloading the items below. Ensure you comply with your site standards regarding downloading, virus checking and licensing of this software.
FineBuild works with all variations of Express Edition, but the recommended variation is
Express Edition with Advanced Services
. If you do not use this variation then you must add a parameter to FineBuild when it is run:
|SQL Express with Advanced Services 32-bit
|Basic SQL Express 32-bit
When the preparation is complete, the install media will contain the folders shown below, but you can also use
SQL Media Alternative Folder Names
||Additional Microsoft and community components used in this build. The same Additional Components folder can be used by all version of FineBuild.
||Install scripts. These scripts are described in the FineBuild Reference manual
||Service Pack and Hotfix install media
||SQL Server install media from Microsoft
Install Media Preparation Example
The procedure for preparing the install media for 32-bit Express Edition is described below. A similar process is used for preparing the 64-bit Express Edition media.
The download locations given below were correct as of 8 August 2013, but they may change if new versions of these components are released or non-English versions are downloaded. The file names given in the
configuration file for these components should be updated if the file name of a component has changed. Products that have national language support for at least one non-English language are shown by a NLS value of
The following items must be completed before FineBuild can be used.
SQL Server Install Media
This section prepares the SQL install media for use by FineBuild.
1) Create a folder called SQL2005-ExpressX86
2) Create a sub-folder of SQL2005-ExpressX86 called SQLMedia
3) Copy the SQL Server Express installation file into the SQLMedia folder
Hotfixes and other media
1) Create a sub-folder of SQL2005-ExpressX86 called Additional Components
- The same Additional Components folder can be used for all versions of FineBuild
2) Download the following mandatory routines into the Additional Components
3) Create a sub-folder of Additional Components called Redist
4) Download the .Net Framework as described in
Install .Net 2.0
It is recommended that you also
Install .Net 3.5
Install .Net 4.0
, because this will reduce risks compared to installing them at a later date.
5) Create a sub-folder of SQL2005-ExpressX86 called Service Packs
6) Copy the FineBuild folder into the SQL2005-ExpressX86 folder
7) It is recommended that the version of NTRIGHTS.EXE
supplied with FineBuild are replaced by versions from a trusted source.
Obtain a copy of Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, and copy the following files into the
folder, overwriting the version already in the folder. The Windows 2003 version is also used for Windows 2008 and above.
The following items are optional. If you do not want a given component then do not download it
Microsoft and Community Components
FineBuild can optionally include various Microsoft and Community components in the SQL install process.
1) Download the following Microsoft and Community components into the Additional Components
folder. If you do not want a given component then do not download it.
It is suggested that where any of the Community components are used, a donation is made to the author of the component
SQL Service Packs and Cumulative Updates
FineBuild can optionally include SQL Server Service Packs and Cumulative Updates in the SQL install process.
1) Download the required Service Pack for SQL Server 2005
The Service Pack must be placed in a sub-folder of the \Service Packs
folder, as shown in the table below. All Service Packs are cumulative, so if you want to install Service Pack 4 you do not need to also install the previous Service Packs.
For more details see
Install SQL Service Pack
2) Special items for SQL 2005 SP4
If you download SQL 2005 SP4, it is recommended that you also download the fix below into the
folder. This is known within FineBuild as CU5 for SP4, and is the most recent publicly available fix for SQL Server 2005.
If the Busines Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) component is included in the SQL 2005 install and you also install SP4, then Visual Studio 2005 SP1 must also be downloaded so it can be installed by FineBuild. See
Install Visual Studio 2005 SP1
Upgrades to SQL Install Media
FineBuild can optionally upgrade various components supplied in the SQL install media to more recent versions. If you want to take advantage of this, then download the components listed below.
1) It is recommended that Powershell V2 is installed at this time, because Powershell is now the standard management tool for Windows.
For details please see
Install Powershell V2
2) The SQL2005-ExpressX86 folder is now ready for use.
Copyright © 2011 - 2013 Edward Vassie.
License and Acknowledgements