This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Getting started with FineBuild

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Hi Ed,
the FineBuild too looks great, but for a not that (SQL) experienced developer it is hard to get started

First of all is it the right tool for my goal? I have to install a 100+ VB.net applications with a SQL server 2008 Express database. Security is a big issue so I want to create an unattended installation for SQL Express. Related to that, I do not want to include Windows authentication and for the users (and passwords) to be created from the script should be non readable.

I installed FineBuild (for SQL Express) and start playing with it. Now I get this message:

Restart point 1B: Setup local groups (See 3.4.4) at 15:15:27
***** Error has occurred *****
 Process    : 1B: Setup local groups (See 3.4.4)
 Error code : 1
 Sub Process: ProcessGroupUser("VM03\GBGGDBAS01")
 Description: (1B) Error running NET LOCALGROUP "Remote Desktop Users" "VM03\GBGGDBAS01" /ADD
 Last Action: (1B) Error running NET LOCALGROUP "Remote Desktop Users" "VM03\GBGGDBAS01" /ADD
 SQL Server install preparation failed

In the Reference doc at 3.4.4. I can not find a solution or guideline to avoid this message.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Gerard

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Gerard,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been on holiday.

The name GBGGDBAS01 refers to the DBA sysadmin group.  You can change this to whatever group name you want by using adding the parameter /GroupDBA:yourname  It may be possible to get by with no DBA sysabmin group by using /GroupDBA:"" but I cannot remember if this causes problems.

You will also have to supply your own group name for the DBA non-sysadmin group or specify that no DBA non-sysadmin group is used by adding the parameter /GroupDBANonSA:"yourNonSAgroup" or /GroupDBANonSA:""

I will add a note the documentation to clarify this issue.

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2009 at 10:28 AM
Edited Dec 17, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Gerard,

Going back to your first point about what you want to do... 

It is not possible to prevent SQL Server using Windows authentication.  SQL will always try to connect using the user's Windows credentials, and if this fails it will then try to connect using the SQL login if this is supplied.

FineBuild does not at present directly support adding a ilst of users to SQL Server, but it does provide a way for you to include this within the install process.  If you look in the FineBuild\Build Scripts folder you will find User2Configuration.vbs and you can change this to do whatever you need.  If you are not sure about how to code adding users to SQL from within vbscript, look in the SQL2008Install5Configuration.vbs file for 'Create login' then copy and hack that code into the User2Configuration script to do what you want.

If you can do this, then you should be able to use FineBuild to install the 100+ instances of SQL Server that you need.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM

After launching the install, i get the following error:

Restart point 1C: Setup local groups (See 3.4.4) at 2:21:30 PM
***** Error has occurred *****
 Process    : 1C: Setup local groups (See 3.4.4)
 Error code : 1
 Last Action: Run command in a file
 SQL Server install preparation failed

---------------------------

I noticed a few of the logins had been added to the local server groups.  I went ahead and added the others manually per the reference doc in hopes to get past this step, but with no luck.  Anyway, before it fails, the attrib.exe utility is executing and returning "access denied" messages.  I'm an admin on the box and am running the .bat as an admin.  Not sure what's wrong.